This donation provides a full operating system license, not an upgrade, offered through Microsoft's Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organisations programme. Request one license for this product for each computer on which you will install it. It is available only to correct scenarios in which an organisation has an existing PC with one of the following operating systems installed on it:
• Counterfeit, pirated, or otherwise illegal, unlicensed, or improperly licensed Windows operating system
• The standard edition of Windows 8
• Home Premium, Home Basic, or Starter editions of Windows 7 or Windows Vista
• Home or Starter editions of Windows XP
• Linux, FreeDOS, or other operating system
Once computers have genuine Windows, users can keep their current operating system up-to-date with the latest service packs and security updates by downloading them with Windows Update.
Windows 8 Pro is the professional edition of the latest Microsoft operating system. Compared to previous versions of Windows, it features enhanced performance, a modern interface with advanced touch support, cloud integration, greater security, and improved power efficiency. This 64-bit version operates on a computer with a 64-bit processor and 64-bit drivers.
Benefits for Organsations
You should consider requesting this product if you need to install the latest Windows operating system on a PC that falls under one of the licensing scenarios described above.
Special Rules for Get Genuine Product Requests
• Eligible organisations may place only one request ever for Get Genuine products.
• Requests for Get Genuine products may not contain any other products.
• During check-out, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organisations must be accepted on behalf of the organisation.
Note: Since Get Genuine products are part of the Windows Desktop Operating Systems title group, an organization's request for them will reduce the number of operating system upgrade products it may request in its current two-year donation cycle.
Software Assurance Not Included
Get Genuine products do not include the Software Assurance benefits that come with most other Microsoft software donations. If an organisation installs a Get Genuine product, that product will not have the benefit of receiving a free upgrade to a newer version of Windows when it is released in the future. However, the Get Genuine product will provide a computer with a legal base operating system upon which Windows upgrade products that include Software Assurance benefits offered through CTX Programme can be installed. Additionally, organisations that request Get Genuine products will be able to downgrade their donation to earlier Windows OS versions at no cost through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
Installing Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro requires significant system resources, as detailed below. It is likely that PCs currently running an operating system older than Windows Vista might not be able to run Windows 8. For a good start on evaluating whether to upgrade, see CTX Programmes Upgrading to Windows 8: Four Questions to Consider.
CTX Programme recommends a "clean install" of the Windows operating system: The process is described in CTX Programmes How to Upgrade to Windows 8.
Important Volume Licensing Information
With Windows 8, your organisation can choose between two types of volume license keys for product activation: a Key Management Service (KMS) license key or a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). A Key Management Service (KMS) key for Windows 8 is available by default on the Microsoft Volume Licensing website; that is, this is the only type of key you will see unless you request a MAK.
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organisation has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
1. When your donation request has been approved, CTX Programme will send a message to your organisation email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
2. Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organisation to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
3. CTX Programme will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
• 2-GHz (or higher) 64-bit (x64) processor
• 2 GB or more RAM
• 20 GB available hard-disk space
• DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0 or later driver
• DVD drive
Additional requirements to use certain features:
• For touch — touch screen
• For accessing the Windows Store and downloading and running apps — Internet connection, Microsoft account (formerly Live ID) and 1,024x768 (or greater) display
• For sound — audio output
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.
Join us on
Session Cookie: Looks like: SESS636698fd811c0f0105518e7332ea5f41
A unique session ID. This expires when you stop using the site
Google Analytics: Looks like: _utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz
Google Analytics cookies track when you accessed the site, how long you spent here, what you did, how you got here, and when you left.
_utma tracks how many times (if any) you have visited the website before. Expires 2 years after your last visit to this site.
_utmb and _utmc are connected, and track how long you stay on the site. _utmb: Expires 30 minutes after your visit, or after 30 minutes of inactivity. _utmc: Expires when you close your browser.
_utmz tracks identifies where you've come from e.g. from a search engine or from another website. _utmz: Expires 6 months after it was last set.
You can read more about what each Google Analytics cookie does.
www.ctxchange.org: Looks like: ccShowCookieIcon site_cookiecontrol
Used by this popup/site to record whether you have chosen to accept cookies. Duration 180 days.
Show the cookie icon?