Charity Tech News
Sign up to the CTX Newsletter
Lync 2010 (Includes Software Assurance)
Admin Fee: £2.00 + VAT
Lync 2010, the successor to Communicator 2007, is a communications client that works in conjunction with Lync Server or Office Communications Server. In one Lync Conversation window, users can talk to each other using instant messaging (IM), voice, or video and can switch back and forth between modes. In the Contact List window, each contact has a presence button, green for available, yellow for away, or red for busy. Lync also adds presence buttons to other Office applications like Outlook, and conversations can be started directly from those applications.
Each contact in the list has a call button that can be clicked to call the contact's default phone number. Contacts can be grouped, and users can start conversations with an entire group at once.
Incoming conversation requests can be redirected to another mode of communication, such as a mobile phone. They can also be declined. Other contacts can be added to a conversation by dragging their names from the Contact List window to the Conversation window.
Lync 2010 is also one of the applications included in the Office Professional Plus 2010 suite.
Other capabilities include the following:
• Clicking a contact's presence button displays up to 20 more items of information, such as phone numbers and custom notes. Users can choose how much of their contact information each contact can see. Five levels are available, from Personal to Blocked.
• Files or selections from files can be sent in instant messages with their formatting intact.
• Users can tag contacts to receive automatic notification when the contacts' presence information changes.
• Lync creates a special folder in Outlook called Conversation History to track and log information about conversations. This information can include notes taken in OneNote.
Acquiring the Installation Media and License Key: Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. Installation media will be shipped to you free of charge.
The license allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received donations for. This quantity is specified in the donation email sent to your organization email address after your eligibility has been verified and your administrative fee has been received. A separate email will give you information about obtaining your license key.
Software Assurance: Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
• 1.6-GHz (or higher) Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64, or equivalent processor for data and voice (2-GHz recommended); dual-core 1.9-GHz (or higher) for CIF or VGA video; quad-core 2.0-GHz (or higher) for HD video; 2-GHz (or higher) for Microsoft RoundTable conferencing device
• 1 GB or more RAM for Windows XP; 2 GB for Windows Vista or Windows 7
• 1.5 MB available hard-disk space
• 1024x768-pixel (or higher) display
• CD drive
• For audio features — microphone and speakers, headset with microphone, or equivalent device
• For video features — USB 2.0 video camera or RoundTable device; video card with 128 MB of video RAM, Windows Display Driver Model driver, Pixel Shader 2.0, 32 bits per pixel; Microsoft DirectX 9 application programming interface
• Windows XP Professional with SP3 (Windows Installer 3.1 and Microsoft Core XML services 6.0 SP1 must be installed); Windows Vista; Windows 7; Windows Server 2003 with SP2 or later; Windows Server 2008 with SP2 or later; 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 supported in Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) mode
• Connectivity to Office Communications Server 2007 or Lync Server 2010
• For Outlook integration — Outlook 2007/2010; Exchange Server 2007 with SP1, Exchange Server 2010
• See network bandwidth requirements
Price: £2.00 + VAT
© 2007 Charity Technology Exchange - Terms And Conditions