Visual Studio 2012 Professional Edition is an integrated development environment (IDE) for individual developers and small teams who build applications that operate on Microsoft Windows, in Microsoft SharePoint, in the cloud, or on Microsoft's web and mobile-device platforms.
This donation provides one license and a subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).
Benefits for Organisations
If you have software development experience, you can use Visual Studio to:
• Develop custom applications for use in your organisation
• Develop mobile and web applications for use by your constituents and donors
• Use major programming languages:
o Visual Basic
o Visual C#
o Visual C++
o Visual F#
• Develop for Windows 8:
o Use default project templates that provide the files, resources, and structure for various kinds of Windows Store apps
o Use various tools to debug, optimize, and publish apps
• Develop for the Web:
o Test the same page, application, or site in a variety of browsers
o Develop web applications against a server identical to IIS
• Develop for the Cloud:
o Develop, deploy, and test applications and services for Windows Azure
o Use profiling tools to identify the possible causes of poor performance
o Use Visual Studio LightSwitch templates to implement common application logic
• Develop for SharePoint:
o Accelerate project development with project templates and design tools
o Ensure that sites function correctly with testing and optimization facilities
o Use a deployment wizard to package a SharePoint site and upload it to a web server
Free Express Editions
For organizations that do not need the full functionality of Visual Studio, Microsoft offers free, downloadable Express editions.
Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Subscription
This version of Visual Studio includes a two-year subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN). MSDN provides access to Microsoft operating systems and software, development kits, and the MSDN Library. Access is via the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site and through regular CD or DVD shipments.
Technical support includes:
• Unlimited use of MSDN Managed Newsgroups with guaranteed response times of two business days
• Unlimited access to MSDN Online Concierge for nontechnical questions regarding use of the MSDN site
• Two phone-based support incidents
To activate the MSDN subscription, you must perform an additional step while retrieving your license keys from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center website. To activate an MSDN subscription, click Subscriptions in the VLSC menu bar and follow the MSDN link to enter information about the subscribing user. When the process is complete, the user will receive an email with a subscriber ID and directions to the MSDN website.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
1. When your donation request has been approved, CTX Programme will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
2. Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organisation to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
3. CTX Programme will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
• 1.6-GHz (or higher) processor
• 1 GB or more RAM; additional 512 MB if running in a virtual machine
• 10 GB available hard-disk space
• 5,400-rpm hard drive
• 1024x768-pixel or higher-resolution display with DirectX 9–capable video card
• DVD drive if installing from disc
• Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit); Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 (64-bit only); Windows Server 2012 (64-bit only)
Join us on
Session Cookie: Looks like: SESS636698fd811c0f0105518e7332ea5f41
A unique session ID. This expires when you stop using the site
Google Analytics: Looks like: _utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz
Google Analytics cookies track when you accessed the site, how long you spent here, what you did, how you got here, and when you left.
_utma tracks how many times (if any) you have visited the website before. Expires 2 years after your last visit to this site.
_utmb and _utmc are connected, and track how long you stay on the site. _utmb: Expires 30 minutes after your visit, or after 30 minutes of inactivity. _utmc: Expires when you close your browser.
_utmz tracks identifies where you've come from e.g. from a search engine or from another website. _utmz: Expires 6 months after it was last set.
You can read more about what each Google Analytics cookie does.
www.ctxchange.org: Looks like: ccShowCookieIcon site_cookiecontrol
Used by this popup/site to record whether you have chosen to accept cookies. Duration 180 days.
Show the cookie icon?