Charity Tech News
Sign up to the CTX Newsletter
Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN (Includes Software Assurance)
Admin Fee: £357.00 + VAT
Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Edition is an integrated development environment (IDE) for teams that build applications that operate on Microsoft Windows, in Microsoft Office, or on Microsoft's web and mobile-device platforms.
Visual Studio Ultimate Edition includes all the debugging, diagnostics, and testing functionality of the Premium Edition, in addition to tools for lab management, architecture, and modeling.
Developers who use Visual Studio Ultimate Edition can choose to program in long-supported Microsoft programming languages such as Visual Basic.NET, Visual C++.NET, Visual C#.NET, Jscript, and dozens more or in several languages that are newly supported with Visual Studio 2010 such as Visual F#, IronRuby, and IronPython. Visual Studio 2010 also includes more integration with SharePoint Server than previous versions, helping developers who need to customize a SharePoint Server 2010 installation.
Visual Studio Ultimate Edition includes many Microsoft software development kits, utilities, class libraries, APIs, and data connections. It supports .NET Framework versions 2 through 4, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Silverlight, ASP.NET, Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML), and Language-Integrated Query (LINQ). Visual Studio 2010 also includes Visual Studio 2010 Tools for the Office Runtime, which targets Office 2007 and 2010.
Other capabilities include the following:
• Database development tools for deployment and change-management help ensure databases and applications are in sync.
• Code analysis tools help developers avoid common coding errors before they get into production.
• Test impact analysis provides a list of recommended tests to run after a code change was made, enabling more accurate verification of code and reducing the number of tests needed.
• Lab Management automates build-deploy-test workflows to reduce development and testing costs associated with setup, tear down, and restoration of virtual environments to a known state.
• Architecture Explorer helps users visually explore code assets and their interdependencies, produce detailed models of how an application is constructed, and drill -down into specific areas.
Other Editions of Visual Studio: See this table for a comparison of Visual Studio 2010 editions. For organizations that do not need the full functionality of Visual Studio, Microsoft offers free, downloadable Express editions of Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer.
Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Subscription: This version of Visual Studio includes a two-year subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN). MSDN provides access to Microsoft operating systems and software, development kits, and the MSDN Library. The subscription available with Ultimate Edition also includes access to titles like Visual Studio Team Explorer Everywhere 2010, Expression Studio Ultimate, and Office Professional Plus 2010 for production use, as well as access to Office products, Dynamics, and other servers for development and testing. Access is via the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site and through regular CD or DVD shipments. Technical support includes unlimited use of MSDN Managed Newsgroups with guaranteed response times of two business days;, unlimited access to MSDN Online Concierge for nontechnical questions regarding use of the MSDN site,; and four phone-based support incidents.
Acquiring MSDN: To activate the MSDN subscription, you must perform an additional step while retrieving your license keys from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center website. To activate an MSDN subscription, click Subscriptions in the VLSC menu bar and follow the MSDN link to enter information about the subscribing user. When the process is complete, the user will receive an email with a subscriber ID and directions to the MSDN website.
Software Assurance: Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
• 1.6-GHz (or higher) processor
• 1 GB or more RAM; 2 GB or more for 64-bit systems; additional 512 MB if running in a virtual machine
• 3 GB available hard-disk space
• 5,400-rpm hard drive
• 1024x768-pixel or higher-resolution display with DirectX 9–capable video card
• DVD drive
One of the following operating systems (32-bit or 64-bit except where noted):
• Windows XP with SP3 (32-bit only), all editions except Starter
• Windows Vista with SP2, all editions except Starter
• Windows 7
• Windows Server 2003 with SP2
• Windows Server 2003 R2
• Windows Server 2008 with SP2
• Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit only)
Price: £357.00 + VAT
© 2007 Charity Technology Exchange - Terms And Conditions