Windows Server 2012 is a server operating system that enables a computer to handle network roles such as print server, domain controller, web server, and file server. As a server operating system, it is also the platform for separately acquired server applications such as Exchange Server or SQL Server. The Standard Edition is designed for small-to-medium-sized organizations with physical or lightly virtualized server environments.
This donation provides one Standard Edition server license. Each license allows up to two physical processors on one server and up to two virtual instances of the server software. For additional licensing information, see below.
Benefits for Organisations
If you have system administration experience, you can use Windows Server to:
• Run multiple server roles and different operating systems on a single server
• Reduce the amount of hardware needed to run server workloads
• Minimize the time it takes to set up hardware and software and reproduce test environments
• Server virtualization: Hyper-V provides tools for creating and managing a virtualized server computing environment. Hyper-V Replica can replicate a virtual machine from one location to another, without shared storage, storage arrays, or other replication technologies.
• Server management: The Server Core provides a minimal environment for running specific server roles. Those roles are then easier to maintain and manage and less exposed to attack. Administrators can manage groups of servers collectively from within a single, integrated console.
• Integrated services: Windows Server 2012 delivers a unified platform for web publishing that integrates IIS, ASP.NET, and Windows Communication Foundation and also supports SharePoint Services.
• Failover clustering: Administrators can minimize disruptions of services and applications by creating a redundant server environment with dynamic hardware partitioning.
• Application Server: This server role provides an integrated environment for deploying and running custom business applications built with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.
• DirectAccess: This secure tunneling feature allows access to the network from any computer or device. It is faster than typical VPN connections and provides off-site access to file shares, on-premises equipment, and other resources.
The Standard and Datacenter editions of Windows Server both use processor-based licensing, with each license allowing up to two physical processors.
The two editions have identical features, but they differ in the number of virtual instances of the server software you are allowed to run.
For additional information about the available editions of Windows Server 2012 and the server and client licensing requirements, see the Guide to Windows Server Editions and Licensing.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
1. When your donation request has been approved, CTX Programme will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
2. Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organisation to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
3. The CTX Programme will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
• 1.4-GHz (or higher) x64 processor; eight processors maximum
• 512 MB or more RAM; 2 TB maximum
• 32 GB available hard-disk space (computers with more than 16 GB RAM require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files)
• DVD drive if installing from disc
Actual requirements depend on system configuration and the applications and features that are installed. Additional hard-disk space might be required for installation over a network. For more information, see Installing Windows Server 2012.
Join us on
Session Cookie: Looks like: SESS636698fd811c0f0105518e7332ea5f41
A unique session ID. This expires when you stop using the site
Google Analytics: Looks like: _utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz
Google Analytics cookies track when you accessed the site, how long you spent here, what you did, how you got here, and when you left.
_utma tracks how many times (if any) you have visited the website before. Expires 2 years after your last visit to this site.
_utmb and _utmc are connected, and track how long you stay on the site. _utmb: Expires 30 minutes after your visit, or after 30 minutes of inactivity. _utmc: Expires when you close your browser.
_utmz tracks identifies where you've come from e.g. from a search engine or from another website. _utmz: Expires 6 months after it was last set.
You can read more about what each Google Analytics cookie does.
www.ctxchange.org: Looks like: ccShowCookieIcon site_cookiecontrol
Used by this popup/site to record whether you have chosen to accept cookies. Duration 180 days.
Show the cookie icon?