The Windows Server 2008 server operating system enables a network server to handle a diverse set of roles — such as print server, domain controller, web server, and file server — and to be the platform for separately acquired server applications — such as Exchange Server or SQL Server.
The Enterprise Edition supports a highly dynamic, scalable IT infrastructure and up to four instances of Windows Server in guest virtual machines.
The R2 version updates the Hyper-V virtualization environment, improves power management, enables remote connectivity without a VPN, and adds features designed specifically to work with client computers running Windows 7.
Service Pack 1 enhances Hyper-V to use physical memory more efficiently, improves the visual capabilities of remote desktop clients, and adds support for more addresses when using DirectAccess to securely access enterprise shares.
Important: The R2 version requires a 64-bit system. Organizations that want to run Windows Server 2008 on a 32-bit system can receive a donation of this product and then obtain the older SP2 version from Microsoft, either by downloading or by purchasing the DVD-ROM.
Acquiring the Installation Media: To activate this product, you might need a volume licence key or setup code
• Under the Software Assurance programme, customers acquire the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of their coverage.
• Hyper-V provides tools for creating and managing a virtualized server computing environment, allowing organizations to reduce the amount of hardware needed to run server workloads, to reduce the amount of time it takes to set up hardware and software and reproduce test environments, and to run different operating systems on a single server.
• The optional Server Core installation provides a minimal environment for running specific server roles — Active Directory Domain Services, Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services, Internet Information Services 7.5, and Hyper-V — reducing the maintenance and management requirements and also the exposure to attack for those server roles.
• Windows Server 2008 delivers a unified platform for Web publishing that integrates IIS, ASP.NET, and Windows Communication Foundation and also supports SharePoint Services.
• Application Server is a new server role in Windows Server 2008. Application Server provides an integrated environment for deploying and running custom business applications that are built with Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5.
• 1.4-GHz (or higher) x64 processor; eight processors maximum
• 512 MB or more RAM; 2 TB maximum
• 32 GB available hard-disk space; (computers with more than 16 GB RAM require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files)
• DVD drive
Actual requirements depend on system configuration and the applications and features that are installed. Additional hard-disk space might be required for installation over a network. For more information, see Windows Server 2008 System Requirements.
Join us on